I am trying to clean up. Here’s how it works here:
* I put away a few kids’ books.
* Mary takes out one of the books.
* Wesley gets three books out–net cleaning, I’ve put away -1 books.
* I put away the remote controls.
* Mary takes one remote and waves it around and pretends to use it as a phone.
* I pick up a tub of lotion and put it away.
* Mary demands lotion on her ankles.
* While I am lotioning her ankles, Wesley picks up a remote and begins trying to turn on the TV.
* I put away a few more kids’ books.
* Mary empties out her toy box.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Almost a week, anyway–I am busy. Want to know why? Here’s what we’re doing:
* Conor just finished indexing a book…at, like, 8:00 this morning. So all weekend I have been wrangling kids and keeping the house running while he worked on that.
* Grading papers. I always forget how long it takes. I used to be able to just put myself in grading jail until they were done; however, grading jail is a lot less effective when you’re jailed with two toddlers.
* Working on my dissertation–which is going well. I’m cruising along. Me and Graham, we’re buddies.
* Canning applesauce. This was yesterday’s project. I put in three big bags of apples, got three jars of sauce. But it is totally delicious. They are, at least, quart jars. This whole canning thing, which I’ve never done before this summer, really reduces your “huge pot of whatever” to a “sort of emptyish huge pot of whatever.” Plus the kids ate it.
* Feeding Wesley [and Mary]. Wesley’s in a growth spurt and he is…well, he’s back to the phase that Conor called the “very hungry Wesleypillar.” And he is still hungry. [Still waiting on the two weeks in the cocoon part.]
* Helping get Grandma set up with a new computer [she’s finally going Mac! yay!] and high-speed internet. Conor’s uncle is fielding the high-speed changeover, but Conor spearheaded the change to Mac [and the new computer in general]. This is totally necessary, because Grandma’s old computer was…well…I’m not sure what it was doing. It was clearly about to die spectacularly. So, she’s up and running and will be getting her cable internet tomorrow.
So, no real blogging going on! But I’ll do better soon, I promise; I plan to take some pictures. That’s always good for a post or two.
I don’t quite know what’s going on with Picasa–just testing!